Creating lifelong happiness by finding the right pet for the right home. Our main goal is to make sure that every animal goes to the best possible home, and that you are comfortable with the animal you buy or adopt. The adoption process is designed to create smiles, wags, and purrs. We love helping you find your new best friend and helping them find you.
Typical Steps for Dog or Cat Adoption
- Potential parents complete the adoption application form.
- Once processed, you will be contacted by an application specialist that can answer any questions you might have about the adoption process.
- Plan your visit! You are welcome to arrive anytime during our regular business hours to work one on one with an adoption counselor to help you find the perfect fit for you family! Be sure to check individual profiles for availability dates if there is an animal in particular you would like to meet.
- Once your entire family and any other dogs in the family have met with your new pet it’s time to make it official! Our adoption counselors will take you step by step through the finalizing paperwork!
- Congratulations! It is time to take home your new pet and make him/her a part of your family forever!
“Adopting Winnie was a great experience at the animal house shelter. The staff was very patient and informative as we considered on adding another family member and they were very helpful when it came time for her to meet our other dog, Elvis. I would highly recommend animal house shelter to anyone looking to adopt.”
Answers to frequently asked Questions
We require all adopters be at least 21 years old.
- Before applying to adopt, ensure all family members are in agreement with adopting a new pet. We do not do surprises/gifts.
- You must complete an adoption application online.
Be 21 years of age or older.
- You must receive a phone call or email from our application specialist that your application is approved.
- All members of the household must be present, including any other dogs you may currently own, in order to do a final adoption (cats do not have to come to the shelter – we will cat test here because we know how stressful it is on the cats to be transported)
- Dogs that you currently own must be current on distemper and rabies vaccinations prior to visiting the shelter for any adoption. And cats must be current on their distemper vaccine.
We rescue all breeds of dogs and cats of all ages.
Keep your eye on our website. We rescue around 8 new animals every week and post their pictures and information two weeks before they are available to give you a chance to get your application in to us and plan your day to bring the whole family to the shelter.
We do not have a history on most of the animals up for adoption since we rescue them Animal Control and they are usually labeled as strays. The staff can only tell you their behavior since they have been with us. We do not know the specific breeds of each dog or cat, or the exact ages. Because they are rescued, we have to guess as to what they MAY be a mix of and what age they appear to be.
But for pets on sale that which we bred we can tell you all about their history
We try to keep the environment for the animals in our care, as healthy, stress free and comfortable as possible during their stay with us. Due to the stress it would cause, walk-through viewing of the dogs is NOT allowed at the shelter. All of our adoptable dogs can be viewed on our website. There are computers in the shelter lobby to view each dog’s profiles if you do not have access to a computer. We are happy to bring the dogs you are interested up to the meet-and-greet areas of the shelter so that you can meet them and spend as much time as you would like visiting with as many as you want to see!
All adoption donations and payment for pets on sale MUST be in cash, money order, traveler’s check, cashier’s check or by VISA, PAYPAL or MASTERCARD credit card only. NO PERSONAL CHECKS PLEASE.
We have adoption hours 7 days a week 11am-7pm Monday – Friday, and Sunday. Saturday adoption hours are 9am-7pm. There is no appointment necessary. Plus we are open every single day of the year, even holidays!
Our trained counselors make sure that the right pet is matched up with your family. Our extensive application helps to ensure the right fit.
Yes! And they’ll love you. You’ve helped them go from being abused, neglected, or scheduled to die, and given them a new life. If a situation arises where things are not working out with your new pet, please call the shelter right away. We will do everything we can to help solve any concerns you have.
Dogs that you currently own must be current on distemper and rabies vaccinations prior to visiting the shelter or any adoption. Cats must be current on their distemper vaccines & FeLV/FIV test. All members of the household must be present, including any other dogs you may currently own, in order to do a final adoption (cats do not have to come to the shelter. We will cat test here because we know how stressful it is on the cats to be transported). Adopters who currently have pets or have had a pet will also need to provide a vet reference on the adoption application.
We do not allow anyone to put a pet “on hold”, no exceptions. The second a dog or cat is adopted, we are saying yes to another one at a high kill facility that may have minutes to hours to live and that is why we never put holds on anyone.
Our Adoption Donations for dogs & puppies ranges from $100-$500 (each individual profile will state the adoption donation). Many older dogs have reduced adoption donations which are listed on their individual profiles. Our Adoption Donations for cats & kittens ranges from $75-$250 (each individual profile will state the adoption donation). Many older cats have reduced adoption donations which are listed on their individual profiles. If you are a Senior Citizen-please call or email to ask about our SENIOR to SENIOR Program- When People 65 years or older, with approved application, adopt a pet 8 years or older the adoption donation is waived!
We microchip, spay/neuter, heartworm test or FeLV/FIV test and give all required vaccinations to all animals. They are also all on Heartgard Plus & Frontline Plus every month while in our care. You are also offered pet insurance through ShelterCare.com.
All of our dogs are up to date on vaccines, given dewormer, microchipped, heartworm tested or FeLV/FIV tested, spayed/neutered, kept on Heartgard Plus & Frontline Plus monthly.
We do require that when you adopt one of our cats/kittens that they are taken home in an appropriate carrier. You can bring in your own carrier or we can supply you with a cardboard carrier for $10.
Wonderful! Most animals love to be with another dog or cat. We love when people adopt two animals together, we can let you know who their “buddy” has been while with us at the shelter. It is usually best if you’re thinking of adopting two animals that you do that at the same time so they are introduced to your home together and one doesn’t feel the need to become territorial.
We feed all the dogs and cats Nature’s Select food. Kittens are fed Purina Kitten Chow.